Thursday, January 6, 2011

Means and ends

In two weeks I deploy to Afghanistan. I have noticed something about my interactions with people. Usually when it is time to say goodbye, or in the past I have felt that I have more vested emotional interest in the departure than the other party. I mean more longing for the parting to not occur and for perhaps the duration to be short. But during the holidays as I was parting company with certain favorite sons and daughters of this world, I felt almost pithy and nearly flippant, as in, "Yeah, Whatever..."


In my mind I know that I am about to step into a precipace. War is something I have never been to, especially an insurgency. And we will be in a wild area. Death and injury occur. My head tells me that the American style of warfare leads to very few friendly casualties. Chances are that I will not be injured. But my friends and family were rather intense with their goodbyes. Perhaps it is part of the nature of man to disregard momentous moments like leaving friends and family for live war because to deeply feel the departure is to accept the gravity that destiny may call.


If not, I return in August. By that time, I may be dealing in black market modular prosthesis.


I feel that the Marine Corps has been for me an investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment